Saturday, February 11, 2012

SAD

Well, here I go again. I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Which is defined as: “Episodes of depression that occur at a certain time of the year, usually during winter.”
I have had this most of my adult life, however, it didn’t seem to bother me as much when I was working. I guess having something to get up and out of bed for is beneficial in this respect.


Isn't that sunshine pretty?
The definition goes on to say:  “Like other forms of depression, it occurs more often in women than in men.” Yay, for me...
The definition also states that:  “People who live in places with long winter nights are at greater risk for SAD.”  NOW knowing this, I have repeatedly asked my husband if we could become Snowbirds...Hello, we’re still in Michigan!
I love blue skies and fluffy clouds.
The definition further says:  Other factors that may make SAD more likely include: Amount of light, Body temperature, Genes, and Hormones. Symptoms usually build up slowly in the late autumn and winter months and are usually the same as with depression:
  • Increased appetite with weight gain Again, yay for me....
  • Increased sleep and daytime sleepiness
  • Less energy and ability to concentrate in the afternoon
  • Loss of interest in work or other activities
  • Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement
  • Social withdrawal Big one for me...
  • Unhappiness and irritability And another biggee for me...Woo Hoo
My poor husband doesn’t know what to do or how to help, but God love him, he tries. 
So, to those friends and family who are wondering what is going on??? All I can say is: “It’s not my time of the month...It’s my time of the year.”
As the saying goes, "Hang on because it is going to be a bumpy ride."
See you in the spring!  And so the journey begins...

1 comment:

  1. Your Seasonal Affective Disorder has really effected you! Your picture in the silhouette looks nothing like you!

    Look at the bright side...the days are already getting longer!

    ReplyDelete