Thursday, December 15, 2011

BOB-LO, WONDERLAND PARK, GREENFIELD VILLAGE, & DAREDEVILS, OH MY...

Do you remember going to Bob-Lo? Oh, I remember it as if it were yesterday. Anxiously waiting to get on the Bob-Lo boat, the boat ride, again waiting in line to get ONTO Bob-Lo Island!!
The ferris wheel, the train ride, the roller coaster, the pony rides, the cotton candy....















I was quite young when we would go there and my brother, who was two years older, was forced to go with me on many of the rides because, according to our parents, “I was too young to go alone.” Well, I was a daredevil and I LOVED rocking the seat of the ferris wheel, especially when it stopped at the top.
The way I remember it was that my brother was petrified and I loved the excitement and always trying to scare him. In his defense (he may remember it differently, and I’m sure he will let me know, Ha Ha).
I also remember going to Wonderland Park (it was located at the point where Fort Street, Pennsylvania Road and Trenton Road all come together, a Lincoln dealership is there now.
They had bumper cars, jumping jimminies (trampolines sunk into the ground so no one fell off and hurt themselves), the tilt-a-whirl, ferris wheel, etc.
On one occasion my brother and I spent the day visiting our cousins in Wyandotte and our older brother and his girlfriend picked us up to take us home. But first we stopped off at Wonderland Park and went on the tilt-a-whirl. Unfortunately, my older brother had eaten something (I think it was Spumoni Ice Cream) prior to going to the park and the ride didn’t set well with him and lo and behold it all ended up on my other brother’s lap. Sure glad I was that little daredevil and sat on the outside edge.
When I was in the Fourth Grade our class had an overnight at Greenfield Village (they had dormitories where the girls slept in one dorm and the boys in the other, also, we were allowed to swim in a huge indoor pool and play in a large gymnasium). Well, in order to play in the deep end of the pool you first had to swim the length of the pool to show you were a good swimmer. So I lined up!
My mother was a chaperone on this trip and was in a room with the other parents watching all of us children when she saw me get in line. She said she jumped up to the window and began yelling (but I couldn’t hear her) “Susan, you don’t know how to swim!!!!!!!”
Well, I gave it my best, I made it half the length of the pool before I tired out. So, unfortunately, I had to stay in the shallow end with all the rest of the nine-year-olds.
What I’m curious about is where did that daredevil go? What happened to that little girl who wasn’t afraid? What happened to that little girl who tried things thinking that she could do them, even if it was for the first time? I think I’m going to have to start looking for her and see if I can coax her out.  And so the journey begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment