Monday, December 19, 2011

CAMPING WITH THE GRANDKIDS



Oh, have I got some wonderful memories! I love my grandkids so very, very much (as do all grandmothers). However, I worked for many years and the time that I got to spend with them was not “quantity” but I hope “quality.”

Sam with the wind in her hair
Austin, my hero












I have five grandchildren, right now they are 18, 16, two are 14 and one is 7.

My husband and I have camped with them over the last 12 years.
However, about four years ago I decided to take them ALL camping at ONE time. Just me, no husband, no other adult. Oh No...
So my husband took our camper down to the local campground and helped me set up camp and he left. I had a 14-year-old, 12-year-old, two 10-year-olds and a 3-year-old. ALL in one camper. Thank goodness we had great weather, were never stuck inside and we spent hours at the beach.

All five frolicking in the water
Zack splashing the big kids











One evening I was outside putting water in the camper with the hose when my cell phone rings. One of the 12-year-olds was on the other end:

EM:  Grandma, where are you, I’m scared.

Em & her snowman made from sand
ME:  I’m outside putting water in the camper. 

EM:  But where are you?

ME:  Just look out the side window and you will see me.

EM:  (Looking out the window) Oh, ok, (laughing) I love you.

ME:  Love you too honey.

Another time we ran out of bread and milk. The only way to get it was for me to ride my bike to the local store about a mile or two away. I took the 3-year-old with me in the bike trailer. But first I had to make sure the older ones stayed on the campsite. So I told them I had talked to the neighbors and asked them to keep an eye on the kids and make sure they didn’t fight or leave the campsite. When I returned, everything was fine and no one had left the site. It was then that I told them I hadn’t really spoken to the neighbors, just wanted them to think that I had to make sure they behaved. And they did, what great kids!

Playing in the sand
Casey - taking a break










Two years ago I wanted them to experience camping in a tent, so we left the camper at home. What the h*ll was I thinking, I’m 59-years-old and sleeping on the ground???

Grandma, you're kidding, right?

Really, all in here?











That evening while sitting around the campfire the topic of kids growing up in rural areas doing something called “cow-tipping” came up. (For those who don’t know what this is, it is where they walk up to cows at night and tip them over).

While we were sitting there the rangers came around with a tractor and fork lift and picked up picnic tables and put them on the parking pads of vacant campsites (we assume to make mowing the lawn easier the next day). We got the bright idea of going around, when it turned dark, and putting all the picnic tables back onto the grass (just to confuse the rangers).  Instead we came up with the idea of picnic table tipping and we went around moving tables back onto the grass and then tipping them upside down. We laughed so hard and had so much fun. (I hope the rangers don’t read this and figure out it was us).

This was just two little stories of camping with the grandkids but I will share more later. 

 I know I have great memories of times spent with them and I hope one day they will look back and have great memories of time spent with Grandma. And so the journey begins...

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have 5 grandchildren. All age 6 and under. I look forward to doing special things with them, although I don't know if I'd attempt camping...maybe at the local Marriott???!!

    You're a brave one!

    ReplyDelete