Wednesday, November 23, 2011

FITNESS AFTER AGE 60

Oh dear, where has the time gone? You’re always being told “take care of yourself while you’re young because it will come back to haunt you when you get older” and you scoff at the idea. “I’m young, I’m healthy, I have all the time in the world to worry about that later.” Well, it catches up with everyone.
Two years ago my 75-year-old brother-in-law took a very nasty fall from a ladder and had to have surgery. My brother-in-law has had a gym membership for over 30 years and he used it faithfully three times a week. Following the surgery to repair his broken bones and fractures, the doctor spoke with my sister and told her that most people my brother-in-law’s age have bones that are like balsa wood, however, his bones were like working on oak. Additionally, my brother-in-law healed so quickly and bounced back so fast that everyone was in awe.
That was all I needed to hear to get myself going to a gym. I wanted to be just like my brother-in-law and have strong bones. I joined Fitness USA http://www.fitnessusa.com/ and began my journey to becoming fit and strong. I worked out faithfully three times a week for almost a year. Then my husband suffered a heart situation called A-Fib and I put my fitness on hold until he was better.  After about two months of convalescing, the doctor gave my hubby the okay to join a gym and he joined Planet Fitness http://www.planetfitness.com/. So, he and I started working out together at his gym.
So here we are in our 60s trying to get in shape. “Lord, why didn’t I do this when I was young?” It is not easy and I admit sometimes we come home after a workout and take a nap but we’re trying. Running on the treadmill causes our knees to hurt. The elliptical kicks our behinds but it works the heart muscle and doesn’t hurt our knees. Weights are great, you just have to start out light and work your way up, but we’re doing it.
I am truly surprised at the changes taking place in our bodies. I honestly didn’t realize you could change the way your body is shaped. I always thought that what you inherited when you were born is what you had to live with. Not so! I am pear-shaped but the pear is beginning to change. It is slight but I can see the changes.
And so, I want to say a big “thank you” to my brother-in-law, George. My goal is to get healthy and fit and I owe it all to you. And so the journey begins...

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this will give me the Kick-Start I need. I am lots of talk, but no action...so far!

    Added your blog to my Favorite Sites!

    ReplyDelete