Saturday, November 19, 2011

HIGH TECH CHANGES

Just the other day my husband and I were talking about the changes in the world since we were born and fantasizing about what the world would be like for our children and grandchildren. It is mind boggling. When we were kids we had a 10-inch TV screen and one phone for the entire house.
It’s funny looking back; 40 years ago my husband said, “You know one day we will be able to hang a television on our wall just like a picture” and I looked at him thinking “OK, we have one off his rocker here.” 
I remember one Christmas, when I was very pregnant with an overdue baby (back then they let you go until the baby decided it wanted to be born) anyway, I digress, I was picking up pine needles that had fallen from our Christmas tree and I fantasized with my husband “Wouldn’t it be nice if someone came up with an artificial tree that already had lights on it.”  He looked at me thinking “OK, we have one off her rocker here.”
I remember attending a seminar back in the early 1980s at some hotel in Southfield and the person was pitching the idea of selling “Machines that answered phones for businesses that would direct the caller to the appropriate person/department just by pushing the corresponding number.” I remember thinking “OK, we have someone off his rocker here.”
Sixteen years ago my granddaughter was crying in her crib in a back bedroom and I said to my husband “I wish we could hook up a camera in there so we could check on her and make sure everything is okay without going in.”  Again, the proverbial “OK, I think this person is off their rocker here” look.  But look at us, in 40 short years all of these dreams have come to fruition. What will it be like in the future? And so the journey begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment